Thursday, August 16, 2007

8 random things

Thank you Cheryl for "tagging" me to tell you 8 random things about myself.

First, the rules:
1. Post these rules before you give your facts.
2. List 8 random facts about yourself.
3. At the end of your post, choose (tag) 8 people and list their names, linking to them.
4. Leave a comment on their blog, letting them know they’ve been tagged.

Hmmm... I seem to remember posting 5 facts about myself a few months ago, but I'll try to come up with something original...

1. I was born in Cleveland, Ohio and ended up in Michigan via Montana. I still love it in Cleveland, also known as "the best location in the nation." I didn't make that up, it was an oft repeated mantra from the Cleveland media or some civic organization in the 60's.
2. I learned to play the flute in 3rd grade. Other students didn't start until 5th grade, but I didn't know that and just asked the school orchestra director if I could join in the 3rd grade. Knowing what I know now, having been a band director for 20 years, I can't believe I was able to reach the keys and produce a tone at such a young age! Why the flute? Because my sister had dropped out of band as a senior in high school and my parents didn't have to buy me another instrument.
3. While in college I competed in the Yamaha organ competition and earned a distinguished performance award at a regional finals competition in Illinois. I was THIS close to going to the national finals.
4. The first foul ball I ever got at a baseball game was off the bat of my baseball idol Cal Ripken Jr. It took a few years of trying, but I finally got him to autograph it the last year he played.
5. And speaking of autographs, I have a print by James Bama entitled "Oldest Living Crow" that I had autographed by the subject in the print, Robbie Yellowtail. My first teaching job was on the Crow Indian Reservation in Montana, and Robbie was still alive back then. A very quiet, dignified, intelligent man. Google his name some time.
6. I'm not a very good cook, but I make a mean macaroni & cheese!
7. Sometimes I catch myself sounding EXACTLY like my dad! Even my wife notices, and we both have a good laugh remembering him. I hope my kids do the same for me some day (a LONG time from now!)
8. To paraphrase Lou Gehrig, "I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth." Truly, I have been blessed, and I love listening to Montgomery Gentry's song "Lucky man." to remind me of that fact.

So there you go. I'm having a tough time coming up with 8 bloggers who haven't already been tagged. I'll think about it and give you a list later. Thanks again Cheryl, this was fun.

No comments: