Thursday, June 08, 2006

I wish I'd said that!

Vicki Davis has such great, thought-provoking posts on her Cool Cat Teacher Blog, and today was no exception. Here's the line I wish I had said:
"An effective educator can no longer be a stingy island of information but
must work to encourage, help, and teach others."

Many teachers today still "close their door" and do their own thing. Forget about collaborating online, they don't even work with the teacher down the hall. I tried to point out to a group of teachers last fall that they don't need to reinvent the wheel! There are dozens, hundreds, even thousands of passionate teachers who would LOVE to collaborate, to share ideas and success stories, and even to commiserate. And with blogs and podcasts and RSS and wikis and other Web 2.0 applications it's easier than ever, and it's even FREE.

I am inspired by reading the blogs of Vicki Davis, David Warlick, Will Richardson, Tony Vincent, and others. They are truly "big thinkers" who express themselves so eloquently. I am in awe of their gift and that they are willing to share themselves with the rest of the world.

I'll keep on trying to spread the gospel and to share the good news, but I sometimes wish I could just flip a switch to turn on the lightbulbs above other teachers' heads so that they could just GET IT!

No comments: