Wednesday, June 18, 2008

MapJack- high res street level photos

Despite the privacy concerns, I am fascinated by the street level photos in Google Maps. Today I found another similar site, MapJack, that has even higher quality street level photography on a much smaller scale.

You can view a few locations in California (including Yosemite National Park) and Chiang Mai, Thailand. The interface is similar to Google Maps.

I enjoyed exploring Alcatraz Island. I was just there in January and absolutely loved it! I took a photo of a hummingbird sitting on barbed wire and while exploring MapJack I found the very location where I shot the photo.

A friend found the house where he used to live in San Francisco and it was being painted when the photos were taken.

Click on the arrow in the upper left corner of any photo to see the latitude and longitude of that location (along with the date the photo was taken) or to copy a link to that photo.

What a great way to take students on a virtual field trip, or to make learning about latitude and longitude more fun.

BTW, the photos of Yosemite are absolutely beautiful! Here's the view from Glacier Point.

No comments: