Monday, January 08, 2007

And while we're on the subject...

Here's what Kelly had to say on his blog, Educational Discourse:

...frank discussions with teachers resisting the use of technology may not change their minds, ever. We have to accept that, move on, and open discussions with other people. Maybe a self-help group for newbies I read how frustrated people are with the lack of swift change and the need for education k12 to begin using these new tools in a more comprehensive way, embracing the changes that are coming. Well, some will embrace and others, who are unsure, will watch and still others, who have been overrun with initiatives and directions, will retreat and resist. That’s part of the life-cycle of change. I think we need to get use to it because I have a feeling our lives are going to be experiencing this for a few years to come.

I think my initial rant was caused by my realization that teachers really ARE "overrun with initiatives and directions," and not all of them are technology related. I think that many teachers really would use technology more, if they felt they had the time. It's not that they don't want to, it's just further down their list of priorities than they would like it to be. They are simply overwhelmed by all the stuff they HAVE to do, that they don't have time for the stuff they would LIKE to do.

I have been blaming myself for not being a more motivating technology evangelist, but after reading just a couple of other blog posts I can see that it's time for me to (as a friend's mother liked to say) "snap out of it" and to keep on preaching.

No comments: