Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Work smarter, not harder!

My wife recently heard this story, and after sharing it with me I had to track it down on the Internet. What would I do without Google???

Working Smarter, Not Harder? A Story told by Dale Carnegie . . . (from http://www.pdkintl.org/newskit/misc.htm)

Once upon a time, two men were chopping wood.
One man worked all day, took no breaks, and stopped for lunch only briefly.
The other man took numerous breaks throughout the day, and even enjoyed a nap after lunch.
At day's end, the fellow who had taken no breaks was upset to find that the "break-taker" had chopped far more wood than he had.
"I simply don't understand it," said the first guy. "Every time I looked up, there you were, sitting down."
The other fellow replied, "Well, I guess you didn't notice -- every time I took a break to sit down, I sharpened my ax."

"What does this have to do with technology?" you might ask. Well, it seems like 90% of the teachers I come in contact with have NO TIME to learn about and/or use technology in the classroom. Believe me, I totally understand how demanding the teaching profession is! I was one for 20 years, my wife still is, and her parents are both retired teachers. But here's my point: if these teachers would invest some time now, it would pay HUGE dividends in the future! I believe their teaching (and consequently their classroom) would be ENERGIZED, and they could accomplish more than ever before.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

No comments: