Wednesday, June 20, 2007

R.I.P. Palm

I want to preface my remarks by saying how much I love my Palm handheld computers, and how much students have enjoyed using them in the classrooms I've visited in the past 5 years.

But... much to my dismay, Palm's days in the world of classroom technology are over. Palm does not even have a booth at NECC in Atlanta, despite the recent announcement of their new Foleo.

They haven't introduced anything along the lines of a Tungsten E2 in awhile, and they seem to have focused their attention on the business world where the real dollars are to be made. Not that I blame them for trying to make a buck.

I'm sad. There seemed to be real potential, and a real "buzz" in the edtech world for Palm about 5 years ago. I think they've peaked, and now, have faded away like so many other hardware/software/websites.

Rest in peace Palm.

No comments: