Specifically, the program aims to:
- Provide young learners with an interactive, enjoyable spelling tutorial
- Simulate classroom test taking scenarios
- Defeat test anxiety and build self confidence
- Deliver early computer based learning experience
- Improve typing skills
- Remove from parents the weekly preparation and review obligations associated with the Friday spelling test
Teachers can set up a classroom account that will provide students with access from home or school. Then they can add words and sentences for the weekly spelling lists that students can practice in a variety of ways. The site even provides a sample permission slip for students and instructions on how the website is used.
Each day the students will use the site in a slightly different way. On Monday there is a pretest, Tuesday is a Hangman game, Wednesday is for word scrambles, and Thursday is a Pop Quiz. Friday through Sunday is called "reinforcement weekend". Students can also earn points to play some fun games at the end of their spelling practice.
Adobe Flash Player 9 and a high speed Internet connection are required. Parents can also set up an individual account for their children and enter their own wordlists.