Monday, April 14, 2008

23 Things

Wayne RESA has done an excellent job of teaching teachers about Web 2.0 with their 23 Things project. You're welcome to participate in most of the activities too, but the official registration period is over.

Here's the assignment for Thing 2 and my responses:

Why are you participating in 23 Things? What do you hope to learn? What new insights did you have during Thing 1? How does writing on the Internet, knowing anyone could read it, change how you write or feel about writing?

My reason for participating in 23 things is purely selfish :) A colleague and I had been talking about a summer Web 2.0 camp for teachers when I received an email from Jacki at Wayne RESA. Talk about a coincidence! I'm using their program as a model for our own. I hope to learn from the participating teachers what works and what doesn't work-- and to figure out how much information is TOO MUCH information. There are so many Web 2.0 tools, that it can easily become overwhelming, especially to "newbies."

I don't know if there is a logical way to introduce Web 2.0, but RESA's way sure makes sense to me! And the scope of their project, in my opinion, is just right. Of course if you ask one of the other participants, they may disagree.

Writing for the web is very motivating for me, and I'm sure it would be for students as well. I've added a ClustrMap to my blog to boost my ego a little-- it's fun for me to see where my readers are from, even if they happened by my blog randomly. It feels like I'm part of a world-wide conversation, like my opinions just might matter to someone else.

1 comment:

RESA 23Things said...

Looking forward to your particular insights as you move through this project. So glad you've joined us!